Community Center Building Committee
Welcome Message & History from the Chair
Welcome to the Town of Dover Community Center Building Committee. This site is designed to provide you with as much information as possible related to our committee’s work. It is a site that, hopefully, will allow you to engage with us as we solicit your input and participation. Please click our History tab for a full welcome message and some background information on this important community initiative.
Welcome Message from the Chair
Welcome to the Town of Dover Community Center Building Committee website. This site is designed to provide you with as much information as possible related to our committee’s work. It is a site that, hopefully, will allow you to engage with us as we solicit your input and participation.
On October 7, 2019 at Dover’s Special Town Meeting voters approved funding to develop plans for the Renovation of the current Caryl Community Center building and for a New Community Center Building to replace the current building. $400,000 was appropriated for plans which will be presented at a future Town Meeting when voters will be asked to approve the full funding required for either the Renovation of the existing Caryl facility or the construction of a New building.
On November 6, 2019 the Board of Selectmen (BOS) voted the Mission Statement for the Building Committee (link) and appointed the Owner’s Project Manager Selection Committee to work with Chris Dwelley, Dover Town Administrator, to make a recommendation to the Board of Selectmen as to what firm should be our Owners Project Manager (OPM). The OPM is responsible for representing the Town of Dover (Owner) and will manage the process study. The Sub-committee members are: Dave Billings, Luciana Burdi, Barry Goldman & Ford Spalding.
On January 22, 2020 the BOS appointed the Community Center Building Committee (link).
Colliers International was appointed by the Board of Selectmen on April 30, 2020 to serve as the OPM for the project. Colliers will work with the Building Committee to recommend to the BOS a Design Firm (Architect) who will work with the OPM & the Committee on the Feasibility Study (structural analysis of the existing building & program analysis that will guide the design), Schematic Designs for both Renovation and New, and not-to-exceed Pricing for both options.
It is anticipated that the Board of Selectmen will present both a Renovation and New Building option to a spring 2021 Town Meeting along with its recommendation to the citizens.
This website is a working site for the Committee and for your information. We hope this site is helpful and informative. We invite your participation and input.
Ford Spalding, Chair
May 11, 2020
Latest Updates, Plans and Information
To complete the approval process we do need a successful vote at the Town Election on June 21st.
The 2021 Dover Special Town Election will be held on Monday, June 21st, 2021.
Hours: 7 am - 8 pm
Location: Great Hall, Dover Town House
For this vote, you can get Absentee Ballots, right up until Friday, June 18th at Noon.
For more information click on this link for the Absentee ballot application and information.
Let's keep moving forward! Thank you!!
Here are the results from the Special Town Meeting on June, 12, 2021:
Article 1 - Renovate/ Addition to 1910 building - Passed (309=yes/ 78=no)
Article 2 - Dismissed (as Article 1 had passed)
Article 3 - Funding - Passed - (354=yes/ 34=no)
Article 4 - Parks &Recreation additional space - Passed - (334=yes/ 28=no)
Article 5 - Dismissed (at the request of the citizens who had put forward the petition for this article - Members of the CDC and parents - as the CDC have found new space to rent in Dover)
Read the latest Frequently Asked Questions document
- Watch the June 10, 2021 Moderator's Meeting
- Click on the left side page menu for Schematic Design Documents
- Open letter from community groups regarding the June 12th Special Town Meeting
- Caryl Community Center Building Committee Special Town Meeting Public Forum June 2
- Share this one page quick summary with friends and neighbors here
- Review the CMAC (Caryl Management Advisory Committee) Management and Operations for a Future Community Center here
- Project Update: 2021 Community Center Citizen Forum June 2
- Watch the May 12, 2021 Citizen Forum on the Town's YouTube Channel here
- Project Update: 2021 Community Center Public Forum May 12
- Click on the left side page menu for Project Images: New Build & Renovate +1910 Additions
Banners at the Caryl Community Center
- 2nd & 4th Mondays of the month
- Check Town Calendar
We pride ourselves on providing as much information and opportunities for our community to learn more about this important initiative and share ideas and opinions together. From planning presentations, to citizen-community forums, to committee meetings, join our efforts and watch the Community Center Building Committee meetings and public forums here.
- Ford Spalding, Chairperson
Email Ford Spalding
- David Billings, Member
- Luciana Burdi. Member
- Sam Cole, Member
- Barry Goldman, Member
- Terry Sobolewski, Member
- Ruth Townsend, Member
Ex Officio Attendees
- Chris Dwelley, Dover Town Administrator
- Bob Springett, Selectmen
- Cam Hudson, Warrant Committee
Please view our Current Committee Charge.
Colliers International – Owners Project Management; Ken Guyette - Project Director | Phil Palumbo - Project Manager
FMArchitecture; Deborah Fennick - Principal Architect | Jon Richardson - Project Architect | Melissa Vaillancourt - Project Manager.
- Community Center Pre-Town Meeting Citizen Forum PP June 2, 2021
- Project Update: 2021 Community Center Public Forum May 12
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee May 3 Committee Meeting
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee April 21 Meeting
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee April 5 Meeting
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee March 29 Meeting
- Community Center Architect Fly by video - Two Story
- Community Center Architect Fly by video - Save the 1910
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee March 22 Committee Meeting
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee March 18 Committee Meeting
- Community Center Building Committee March 9 Committee Meeting-HVAC-Planning-COA
- Community Center Building Committee February 19, 2021 Press Release
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee February 15 Meeting & Survey Results
- 2021 Community Center 3rd Citizen Forum February 10 2021
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee February 1 Committee Meeting
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee February 1 CBA Matrix Selecting Two Building Options
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee January 25 Committee Meeting
- Notes on Meeting with Full Gym Proponents 01.25.2021
- Pathway to a Separate Warrant Article to expand the Scope of the Project 01.23.2021
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee January 18 Committee Meeting
- 2021 Community Center Building Committee January 11 Committee Meeting
- 2020 Community Center Building Committee December 22 Committee Meeting
- 2020 Community Center Building Committee December 14 Committee Meeting
- Community Center Building Committee - December 8, 2020 Press Release
- 2020 Community Center Building Committee December 7 Committee Meeting
- 2020 Community Center Building Committee December 1 Citizen Forum
- 2020 Community Center Building Committee November 16 Committee Meeting
- 2020 Community Center Building Committee November 8 Committee Meeting
- 2020 Community Center Building Committee October 26 Committee Meeting
- Community Center Presentation_Fennick McCredie_July 23 2020
- 2019 Caryl Project Committee Forum Information June 2019
- 2019 Caryl Community Center Combined Town Visits Report February 2019
- 2019 Caryl OnSite Insight Report Property Condition Assessment August 21 2019
- DCC - Designer RFQ FINAL
- DCC Milestone Sched 5-11-20
- Caryl Project STM PowerPoint 9.20.19 September 2019