Community Center Building Committee
Welcome Message & History from the Chair
Welcome to the Town of Dover Community Center Building Committee. This site is designed to provide you with as much information as possible related to our committee’s work. It is a site that, hopefully, will allow you to engage with us as we solicit your input and participation. Please click our History tab for a full welcome message and some background information on this important community initiative.
Welcome Message from the Chair
Welcome to the Town of Dover Community Center Building Committee website. This site is designed to provide you with as much information as possible related to our committee’s work. It is a site that, hopefully, will allow you to engage with us as we solicit your input and participation.
On October 7, 2019 at Dover’s Special Town Meeting voters approved funding to develop plans for the Renovation of the current Caryl Community Center building and for a New Community Center Building to replace the current building. $400,000 was appropriated for plans which will be presented at a future Town Meeting when voters will be asked to approve the full funding required for either the Renovation of the existing Caryl facility or the construction of a New building.
On November 6, 2019 the Board of Selectmen (BOS) voted the Mission Statement for the Building Committee (link) and appointed the Owner’s Project Manager Selection Committee to work with Chris Dwelley, Dover Town Administrator, to make a recommendation to the Board of Selectmen as to what firm should be our Owners Project Manager (OPM). The OPM is responsible for representing the Town of Dover (Owner) and will manage the process study. The Sub-committee members are: Dave Billings, Luciana Burdi, Barry Goldman & Ford Spalding.
On January 22, 2020 the BOS appointed the Community Center Building Committee (link).
Colliers International was appointed by the Board of Selectmen on April 30, 2020 to serve as the OPM for the project. Colliers will work with the Building Committee to recommend to the BOS a Design Firm (Architect) who will work with the OPM & the Committee on the Feasibility Study (structural analysis of the existing building & program analysis that will guide the design), Schematic Designs for both Renovation and New, and not-to-exceed Pricing for both options.
It is anticipated that the Board of Selectmen will present both a Renovation and New Building option to a spring 2021 Town Meeting along with its recommendation to the citizens.
This website is a working site for the Committee and for your information. We hope this site is helpful and informative. We invite your participation and input.
Ford Spalding, Chair
May 11, 2020
Building Committee Updates
- September 13 2021 Colliers Power Point
- September 13 2021 FMA Planning Board Power Point
- September 13 2021 Building Committee Power Point
- August 30 2021 Building Committee Power Point
- August 9 2021 Building Committee Power Point
- June 28 2021 Building Committee Power Point
- June 28 2021 Project Calendar
- July 12 2021 Building Committee Power Point
- July 26 2021 Building Committee Power Point
Here are the results from the Special Town Meeting on June 12, 2021:
Article 1 - Renovate/ Addition to 1910 building - Passed (309=yes/ 78=no)
Article 2 - Dismissed (as Article 1 had passed)
Article 3 - Funding - Passed - (354=yes/ 34=no)
Article 4 - Parks & Recreation additional space - Passed - (334=yes/ 28=no)
Article 5 - Dismissed (at the request of the citizens who had put forward the petition for this article - Members of the CDC and parents - as the CDC have found new space to rent in Dover)
Read the latest Frequently Asked Questions document
- Watch the June 10, 2021 Moderator's Meeting
- Click on the left side page menu for Schematic Design Documents
- Open letter from community groups regarding the June 12th Special Town Meeting
- Caryl Community Center Building Committee Special Town Meeting Public Forum June 2
- Share this one page quick summary with friends and neighbors here
- Review the CMAC (Caryl Management Advisory Committee) Management and Operations for a Future Community Center here
- Project Update: 2021 Community Center Citizen Forum June 2
- Watch the May 12, 2021 Citizen Forum on the Town's YouTube Channel here
- Project Update: 2021 Community Center Public Forum May 12
- Click on the left side page menu for Project Images: New Build & Renovate +1910 Additions
- 2nd & 4th Mondays of the month
- Check Town Calendar
We pride ourselves on providing as much information and opportunities for our community to learn more about this important initiative and share ideas and opinions together. From planning presentations, to citizen-community forums, to committee meetings, join our efforts and watch the Community Center Building Committee meetings and public forums here.
- Ford Spalding, Chairperson
Email Ford Spalding
- David Billings, Member
- Luciana Burdi. Member
- Barry Goldman, Member
- Richard Malcom, Member
- Terry Sobolewski, Member
- Ruth Townsend, Member
Ex Officio Attendees
- Chris Dwelley, Dover Town Administrator
- Bob Springett, Selectmen
- Cam Hudson, Warrant Committee
Please view our Current Committee Charge.
Colliers International – Owners Project Management; Ken Guyette - Project Director | Phil Palumbo - Project Manager
FMArchitecture; Deborah Fennick - Principal Architect | Jon Richardson - Project Architect | Melissa Vaillancourt - Project Manager.